Openphone

Madhu Macaque Labs madhu at macaque.in
Mon Apr 11 15:35:37 UTC 2016

I forgot to add. Since the first variant will be on an altera or xilinx
board, the first cut design will use the
DSP blocks on the FPGA. Cores will be the quad core A53 that is found in
the new FPGAs.

We can use our cores in the FPGA variants but soft cores will not be as
fast as the hard cores.
Our SoC development will proceed in parallel.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Madhu Macaque Labs <madhu at macaque.in>
wrote:

> I am the project lead for the SHAKTI open source processor project.
>
> See bitbucket.org/casl
>
> This is a large Indian processor development effort that aims to develop
> a range of processors (from uController to high end servers) based
> on the RISCV ISA. We work closely with UCB and Cambridge as part of this
> effort.
>
> As part of our processor family, we have just started on a mobile SoC.
> The goal is to have an octa core SoC with the performance of a
> snapdragon 820 or the Apple A9.  the CPU core is pretty much under
> control but we are exploring the DSP needed for running the lower levels
> of the 3G/LTE stack.
>
> Another group does LTE stacks and so we have complete testing equipment
> available to test for compliance.
>
> I am basically looking for co-conspirators who can help identify the
> components
> I can use from the osmocom stack and figure out what else we need to
> develop.
> Then of course we need to develop the DSP core. We are currently reusing
> the UCB vector processor and we are trying to figure out if a vector thread
> processor or
> a conventional DSP will do the trick.
>
> Our goal is to have am SoC that will the functionality of a basic smart
> phone
> but we do not intend to focus only on a basic phone with voice/data
> ca[ability but with basic display (even 4 line display is OK). Plan to use
> the
> AD SDR board for the SDR section. So it will be a large board that is
> not optimized for size.
>
> Any comments, thoughts appreciated . In case you are wondering, yes we
> realize
> this  a mammoth task but we are well funded ! This is part of the India
> processor project. And most importantly all our work will be patent free
> open source. HW will be BSD, SW will be GPL3/2
>

> --
> Regards,
> Madhu

Madhu