OsmocomBB.TCH.

Sébastien Lorquet squalyl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 19:39:40 UTC 2010

Hi,

Your project purpose is very interesting.
however I hope you are not alone to implement it, and you know people that
can help you for the technical choices.

I wouldn't neglect the amateur radio technology in your case. The main
problem is not technical but regulatory because every operator need to be
licenced: there is a small exam. Government support may help somewhere to
get authorizations for your group, I'm not a legal expert.
Apart from that, you can establish bidirectional audio links with very basic
techniques, nothing as complex as gsm.

internet access can also be provided by amateur service thanks to packet
radio, 9600bps is common and may be upgradeable. and amateur low frequency
bands have a far longer range than GSM's UHF bands.

you should speak about your project to amateur communities. Just to know
what they think about it.

I wish you success.

Regards
Sebastien