GTP-C v2 in open grps

Tom Herbert tom at quantonium.net
Fri Sep 1 23:27:22 UTC 2017

Hi Harald,

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> Hi Tom!
>
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 01:32:45PM -0700, Tom Herbert wrote:
>> I am a newbie in this area so please pardon me if these are dumb or
>> covered questions!
>
> no worries.
>
>> I am looking for a GTP stack that implements GTP-C version 2. Is this
>> supported in open grps or is there a plan for that? If not, what stack
>> (preferably open source) is recommended?
>
> In Osmocom we only implement GTPv0 + GTPv1 for both C(ontrol) and U(ser)
> plane, as we so far have not been getting sufficient contributions to
> move beyond the 2G and 3G network element implementations nad into 4G
> (which is where GTPv2-C is introduced).
>
> I'm not an expert on available GTPv2-C code out there, but I'm aware of
> * an Erlang implementation that's part of ergw, see
>   https://github.com/travelping/ergw/blob/master/src/gtp_v2_c.erl
>   they also have a separate erlang GTP library at
>   https://github.com/travelping/gtplib
>
> * nwGTPv2c which is originally from https://sourceforge.net/projects/nwepc/
>   and has also been used in OAI at
>   https://gitlab.eurecom.fr/oai/openair-cn/tree/master/SRC/GTPV2-C/nwgtpv2c-0.11

I looked at that, it's pretty minimal for our purposed.

> * A TTCN-3 implementation published by ETSI, primarily used for their conformance
>   test suite - which means it is rather complete:
>   http://forge.etsi.org/websvn/listing.php?repname=LIBS.LibGtpv2C
>
> * another TTCN-3 implementation from Ericsson which is in the process of being
>   released as FOSS, preview of which can be found in the osmo-ttcn3-hacks.git
>   repository.
>
> I guess it depends on your use case or requirements whether any of that
> is applicable.  Maybe you can share some more background on what you have in
> mind?

My user requires GTPv2 (i.e. this is for 4G network). My interest here
is really to do development on the user plane, but we need a GTP-C to
at least prototype something for their network. Also, we'd like the
kernel support for GTP-U (including IPv6 which I suppose is still
outstanding).

Thanks,
Tom