GTP-C v2 in open grps

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Sep 1 21:59:13 UTC 2017

Hi Tom!

On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 01:32:45PM -0700, Tom Herbert wrote:
> I am a newbie in this area so please pardon me if these are dumb or
> covered questions!

no worries.

> I am looking for a GTP stack that implements GTP-C version 2. Is this
> supported in open grps or is there a plan for that? If not, what stack
> (preferably open source) is recommended?

In Osmocom we only implement GTPv0 + GTPv1 for both C(ontrol) and U(ser)
plane, as we so far have not been getting sufficient contributions to
move beyond the 2G and 3G network element implementations nad into 4G
(which is where GTPv2-C is introduced).

I'm not an expert on available GTPv2-C code out there, but I'm aware of
* an Erlang implementation that's part of ergw, see
  https://github.com/travelping/ergw/blob/master/src/gtp_v2_c.erl
  they also have a separate erlang GTP library at
  https://github.com/travelping/gtplib

* nwGTPv2c which is originally from https://sourceforge.net/projects/nwepc/
  and has also been used in OAI at
  https://gitlab.eurecom.fr/oai/openair-cn/tree/master/SRC/GTPV2-C/nwgtpv2c-0.11

* A TTCN-3 implementation published by ETSI, primarily used for their conformance
  test suite - which means it is rather complete:
  http://forge.etsi.org/websvn/listing.php?repname=LIBS.LibGtpv2C

* another TTCN-3 implementation from Ericsson which is in the process of being
  released as FOSS, preview of which can be found in the osmo-ttcn3-hacks.git
  repository.

I guess it depends on your use case or requirements whether any of that
is applicable.  Maybe you can share some more background on what you have in
mind?