GTP-C v2 in open grps

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Sep 2 08:29:52 UTC 2017

Hi Tom,

On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 04:27:22PM -0700, Tom Herbert wrote:
> > * nwGTPv2c which is originally from https://sourceforge.net/projects/nwepc/
> >   and has also been used in OAI at
> >   https://gitlab.eurecom.fr/oai/openair-cn/tree/master/SRC/GTPV2-C/nwgtpv2c-0.11
> >
> I looked at that, it's pretty minimal for our purposed.

Welcom to the (cellular) telecom world.  Feels like the state of Linux in the
mid-1990ies:  Some minimal FOSS implementations exist, but most of the work still
has to be done.  We've been trying hard since 2008 inside Osmocom, but as indicated
so far no 4G related contributions (financially or in terms of code).

> My user requires GTPv2 (i.e. this is for 4G network). My interest here
> is really to do development on the user plane,

Are we talking about FOSS development here?

> but we need a GTP-C to at least prototype something for their network.

What exactly do you want to prototype? Which of the many GTPv2-C
transactions do you need?  I guess if you can deal e.g. without
relocation, then the complexity is quite reduced.

> Also, we'd like the kernel support for GTP-U (including IPv6 which I
> suppose is still outstanding).

correct.  We've just added user-plane IPv6 support to openggsn in
userspace, v6 user plane (or even transport plane) in kernel GTP is
still another area looking for contributions.