build issues on OSX

Nathan Fain nathan at squimp.com
Sun Mar 14 11:47:22 UTC 2010

Are the objects included in libcalypso.a supposed to have symbol tables?
If so, it appears on my system they are not getting built that way.

(recreated libcalypso.a generation step with some cmd flag changes)
$ ar vsru calypso/libcalypso.a calypso/arm.o calypso/clock.o calypso/dma.o
calypso/dsp.o calypso/du.o calypso/i2c.o calypso/irq.o calypso/rtc.o
calypso/spi.o calypso/tpu.o calypso/tsp.o calypso/keypad.o calypso/misc.o
calypso/timer.o calypso/backlight.o calypso/uart.o calypso/uwire.o
ar: creating archive calypso/libcalypso.a
a - calypso/arm.o
a - calypso/clock.o
a - calypso/dma.o
a - calypso/dsp.o
a - calypso/du.o
a - calypso/i2c.o
a - calypso/irq.o
a - calypso/rtc.o
a - calypso/spi.o
a - calypso/tpu.o
a - calypso/tsp.o
a - calypso/keypad.o
a - calypso/misc.o
a - calypso/timer.o
a - calypso/backlight.o
a - calypso/uart.o
a - calypso/uwire.o
ranlib: warning for library: calypso/libcalypso.a the table of contents is
empty (no object file members in the library define global symbols)

The added 's' flag causes the warning and was not included in with the
common make for libcalypso.a.  I added it because the man page says
"Running `ar s' on an archive is equivalent to running `ranlib' on it." and
considering that the error from my previous mail suggested running ranlib,
its just a guess that this might relate.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:10:41 +0000, Nathan Fain <nat at fains.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the nudge.  I had this setup already but first make run i did
> was with a PATH set to a osx installed aclocal and for some reason my
make
> clean was also dieing. Anyway, rebased the repo and ran make with proper
> PATH.  Now I'm only getting Error 3 mentioned before:
>
> arm-elf-ld -nostartfiles -nostdlib -nodefaultlibs --gc-sections  -T
> board/common/compal_ramload.lds -Bstatic -Map
> board/compal_e88/hello_world.map  -o board/compal_e88/hello_world.elf
> --start-group apps/hello_world/main.o
board/common/compal_ramload_start.o

--
cyphunk://cypherpoet.com