Support for the Calypso romloader in osmocon

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Apr 6 02:09:57 UTC 2010

Hi Steve!

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 12:24:15AM +0200, Steve Markgraf wrote:

> I've added support for the Calypso "non-secure" romloader in my
> branch steve-m/osmocon.

good news! I'll review the branch asap.

> This means we now can execute our code on devices like the Motorola
> W220, the BenQ A38 (which I've used for development), and the
> OpenMoko devices (can anyone try to cross-compile osmocon and see if
> it works?).

You actually don't have to try to cross-compile as the IRDA UART of the
Calypso in the Openmoko is attached to the earphone jack, just like in
the non-smartphone calypso designs.

But sure, it would be great to test it on both the MODEM UART (from the
s3c24xx side) and from the IRDA UART / earphone jack.

> For more information see in the wiki:
> http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/CalypsoRomloader

thanks a lot, I've started to read through it.

> I also added a new model switch for the C140 (-m c140), which
> automatically adds the "1003" string in the uploaded binary.

... assuming that nothing important is at the respective address in the
image, I suppose?  Do we have a way (by linker script tricks?) to ensure
that there is some bogus data at that location?  Last time I checked, I
could not figure out a way to tell the linker "start filling .text from
address A to B, then exclude B to C and continue filling from C
upwards".