SIMtrace v1 vs v2 / Support (was Re: Fwd: SIMtrace)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Sep 26 19:52:06 UTC 2018

Dear Kevin and SIMtrace user list,

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 07:45:06PM +0200, Kévin Redon wrote:
> the SIMtrace v1 firmware for the AT91SAM7S isn't supported anymore and the issue will probably not be fixed.

To clarify this: It will not be fixed by Kevin or me, the original authors.

But: SIMtrace is and always was an open hardware and open source software project,
where anyone can fix any bug or extend it in whichever way.

We're happy to merge bugfixes by the community, or provide commit access to any
developer who has an interest in maintaining or extending SIMtrace v1 firmware.

There is also the option of porting the SIMtrace v2 firmware tree to the SIMtrace v1
hardware.  It shouldn't be all that hard, as all the peripherals around the CPU core
are identical, and almost only the CPU core changed from SAM7S (SIMtrace v1) to SAM3S
(SIMtrace v2).

> if the error is present in the SIMtrace v2 firmware, it will be fixed.

This means: It will be fixed by Kevin and/or me, the original creators of SIMtrace.