AT91SAM3 Based simtracer and firmware

Kévin Redon ml at mail.tsaitgaist.info
Wed Sep 26 17:14:15 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 08:08:22AM +0000, Gerard Bakker wrote:
> Dear Osmocom,
>
> I have a question about the latest build of the simtrace2 based on the AT91SAM3..

I'm not sure if you mean the AT91SAM7S or the SAM3S.
The AT91 prefix only is for the SAM7S, with is the micro-controller used by the simtarce (v1) firmware.
SAM3S is the micro-controller used by the simtarce v2 firmware.

> Currently we have assembled some boards based on the v1.5 design of the Simtracer received from the git repository  git.osmocom.org/simtrace (branch v1.5)

the v1.5 simtrace branch has actually two hardware designs:
- the kicad one, which still uses the SAM7S
- the pcd initial design (never completed and produced), which uses the SAM3S

> If have tried to compile the firmware of the repository git.osmocom.org/simtrace2 But I run in to some issue after the firmware is loaded.
> Also I am not able to find the simtrace2 tool to do simtracing after compilation in the host directory ..

could you provide more information and logs?
what are you trying to do, what did you do, what is the expected result, what is the actual result (with error).

> Is this firmware working already ?

yes, it is.
not every function is implemented for every hardware though (this is WiP), but tracing/sniffing using SAM3S-based simtrace hardware works.
You can find more information in the wiki: https://osmocom.org/projects/simtrace2/wiki#simtrace2-sniff
There is also some pre-compiled firmware (so you don't need any cross-compiler) available here: http://ftp.osmocom.org/binaries/simtrace2/firmware/

> (The website @sysmocom says "SIMtrace 2" will be available from late March 2018)

The hardware is just the "old" simtrace board with an SAM3S micro-controller (nothing else changed).
If you can't/don't want to produce it yourself, it is also made available in the sysmocom shop: http://shop.sysmocom.de/products/simtrace
The wiki provides more information: https://osmocom.org/projects/simtrace2/wiki
tracing works on simtrace, and card emulation works on the sysmoqmod.
The firmware is being actively developed and more functionalities will come in the future.

> Or am I missing something ?

I hope the previous information helps.
If you find any issues please report them so I can fix it.

thanks,
kevin