Problem with firmware flashing

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Wed Feb 8 10:53:10 UTC 2017

> On 8 Feb 2017, at 16:25, Alexander Unger <alexander.u at keepgo.com> wrote:

Hi!

> This situation looks like failed "smoke test"...

or just bitrot. The software was developed some time ago and you
are using newer operating systems, tools, compilers. SIMtrace is
a Free Software project and it lives by contributions.

> - same win10 host with vmWare Ubuntu16.04 VM. tries to install using ubuntu. device shown on lsusb - dfu mode on. dfu-utils installed, toolchain too, firmware made OK. simtrace made too.
>
> BUG1
> experiment with simtrace gives output with wrong parsing of commands - may be you have to open bug case to resolve it. same results with usb2 on vm and usb3.

Apparently the dfu implementation in the bootloader and dfu-util
are not compatible with each other.

http://lists.osmocom.org/pipermail/simtrace/2016-November.txt

We have a known working version and known broken, it should be
reasonable to git bisect dfu-utils and then seeing what needs to
be changed in dfu-util or the bootloader should be more clear
then.

> Now the time to tell about second way - SAM-BA . here is another problem:
>
> used http://osmocom.org/projects/simtrace/wiki/SIMtrace_Firmware
>
> installed GnuArmToolchain. as described on  toolchain link, included to PATH.

Let me remove that link to OsmocomBB. The binary toolchain we
referred to is long gone, the firmware predates the default
usage of EABI.

E.g. change "Makefile" to use $(CROSS_COMPILE)cc and such and
then see if make .. CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-eabi- works then.

> So, we have fails using dfu-util and unmaking state of firmware which gives use of SAM-BA impossible due to insufficient dfu-boot-loader-arm-SAM7.bin aka dfu-bin.

* dfu-util is known since November. Happy to accept patches
* arm-elf-gcc.. wasn't aware of that but it is not clear that
the EABI toolchain will generate a working binary.

https://osmocom.org/attachments/download/2147/main_simtrace_v05.samba

for the v05 files to be used with samba.

cheers
	holger