Windows usage

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Dec 20 19:10:54 UTC 2012

Hi Hugo,

Hugo Soares wrote:
> Thank you for your reply, that was the first email :)
>
> Ok. We'll try linking the app with cygwin1.dll.

Please make sure to build the entire application within the cygwin
environment, ie. using the cygwin compiler.

> You said the biggest issue would be WSA2, but I see you use libusb.
> Do you know if we are going to have problems with hardware
> detection/communication (SIMTrace board) under Windows?

I don't think you will have problems, libusb-1.0 works on Windows as
long as you make sure to:

1. Use the WinUSB.sys kernel driver from Microsoft for the device

2. Build and use libusb-1.0.dll from http://git.libusb.org/libusb.git
   rather than another version of the code

Please let me (or Trac at https://libusb.org/ ) know if there are
some issues. libusb-1.0 should work fine for SIMtrace on Windows,
both in and out of cygwin.

Note that cygwin might or might not be very up to date with the
libusb source code. I would suggest not to bother with testing it,
and go straight for building the libusb.git source.

//Peter