Status of EDGE work and plans

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Tue Jul 12 06:58:25 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

maybe a short summary helps to see where we are and where we need to go. Let me start with myself.

Besides reviewing code I have two GPRS related topics I want to look at. The first one is the missing state transition for single phase access to avoid having to revert, the second one is to use perf to look at the performance difference of the two compressed bitmap routines.

The bigger picture is that we have some features that work in parallel and the right order might be important to unlock them. My review/merging priority right now is:

* 11bit RACH decoding:
** Get the libosmocore change in. As 0x0 is used as a value it needs to be inside the enum
** PCU protocol change to transport this access burst type and update to uint16_t
** OpenBSC change to allow 11bit burst access
** PCU change

* T4 compression/decompression:
I am not sold on the look-up tree yet but I understand that for good compression the API in libosmocore needs to change.
a.) We remove T4 support from libosmocore as it is not used outside of the PCU and this gives us a way to mature the API without having to synchronize two projects
b.) We know which out variables we need to add and can define the API

The implementation (unrolled loop vs. tree) can be decided at a later point as we can hide it from the interface.

* Changing coding schemes on re-transmission/etc. These are features and fixes that only relate to the PCU. I can merge whatever patchset is ready first.

kind regards and looking forward to rebased patchsets
	holger