[osmocom-event-orga] SMS

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Sat Oct 26 13:09:52 UTC 2019

On 25/10/2019 00:39, Miao~ wrote:
> Keith,
>
> There are quite a lot of Telegram bot doing protocol forwarding, but
> no SMS.  I like this idea.  I can help coding if you have a working
> SMS-C.  However, there are three phones in CCC: GSM, DECT, SIP.  I'm
> not sure if DECT phone does SMS...

hi Miaoski!

I took a look at some possibilities for Telegram bot coding. Seems for
sure there is quite a lot out there already and also there are a few
frameworks for writing telegram bots, for example in python, nodeJS (I
have reservations about node) and one can do quite a lot with them. I
think the best example of that I have seen is a ride sharing bot.

I thought about doing a bot that allows a conversation initiation from
bot side. something along the lines of

/start

/chat 3363 or whatever..

That should be pretty easy to do for sure. The "working SMS-C" is for
the moment, the SMS-C that exists inside osmo-msc.

One thing about telegram bots is that they cannot (good thing!) initiate
conversations to telegram users, or lookup telegram users by phone
number. so that is why I thought about using an actual account to be
able to do that, but like I said, it's wide open to a SPAM reporting
attack.