[osmocom-event-orga] SMS

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Fri Oct 25 15:49:32 UTC 2019

On 24/10/2019 18:26, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Keith wrote:
>
> The question is, if this incoming block still exists, is there any
> chance it supports SMS?
> Good question. I'm not sure who would know. At some point of course
> it does, but I don't know if SMS would arrive at POC.

Ok, so according to [1] this trunk may be generously supplied by nexmo?

I used nexmo for our SMS over ShortWave relay to the amazon experiment.
incoming SMS is forwarded to a "webhook endpoint" [2]

Maybe this service is active?

>> Each extension registered with POC via the GURU3 is available as
>> sip:XXXX at voip.eventphone.de. correct?
> AFAIK that's not correct, I think only the extensions explicitly
> registered as SIP extensions are available via SIP.

Ah. let me clarify "available" One can of course place a call to a GSM/
DECT extension from a SIP extension. that's done with an
INVITE sip:GSM_EXT at voip.eventphone.de

The question is, and i think this is what you refer to, that eventphone
probably replies with a 401 Unauthorized so you need to send your SIP
extension credentials to complete the call, that is, you need to hace
registered a SIP extension to make calls via voip.eventphone.de

An IP could be whitelisted to allow sending of SIP MESSAGEs from a
gatewaying service.

>> would the SIP UAs support MESSAGE?
> Some do, many (hardphones in particular) don't.

Correct, I didn't phrase well what I was saying. It was more a pondering
over how many MESSAGE supporting UAs would be present.

>> So here's an idea:
> I'd like to suggest starting with something a bit simpler. It's
> relatively easy to create an XMPP message bridge. I'd try to do
> that instead.

I considered implementing an XMPP <-> SMS some time ago for rhizomatica.
In the end I never did it, I stopped when the main(stream) IM suppliers
on the corporate internet finally de-federalized themselves. Not
relevant to congress of course, but there is an interesting question
about how to compose a message (initiate a conversation) to an XMPP
account from an SMS phone.

[1] https://eventphone.de/blog/2018/08/31/emf-dialout-restrictions/

[2] https://developer.nexmo.com/api/sms#inbound-sms