[osmocom-event-orga] 34c3 congress gsm network / AfRA 9.12. 14:00

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Dec 7 19:19:10 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Good news all around! UMTS spectrum, SIM cards, and we have a room.

I was considering trying to operate a Nokia Flexi BTS, but the FRGP
RRU seems to be only for 2100 MHz, so no go.

Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> > I'm asking to understand the need for a dedicated GSM room. Costs are
> > quite high in Leipzig, and I don't know if we strictly require a room?
..
> Will it be humungous halls

Yes, exactly.

> with deafening noise, and having a GSM room would be the only refuge
> from the madness?

I don't know - maybe.

> How expensive is "quite high"?  Are we paying ourselves, or are we
> straining the budget of the congress at large?

We're not paying ourselves. But we now have a room allocated, with
some 8-10 tables for ~20 seats. It will quite likely be in CCL, away
from the exhibition halls with assembly and lectures. The smallest
lecture room (~1100 pax) is also in CCL. (Congress Center Leipzig)

> > If as last year pretty much only Alexander is doing actual operations,
> > then I find it difficult to justify a GSM room.
>
> Don't forget Kévin :)

Very true - I'm sorry about that! :(

//Peter