[ANNOUNCE] OsmoDevCon 2013-04-04 till 2013-04-07, Berlin

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Mar 3 22:15:35 UTC 2013

Hi Alexander,

On Sat, Mar 02, 2013 at 08:20:14PM +0100, Alexander Chemeris wrote:

> I see Ivan and me in the list of confirmed attendees here:
> http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/OsmoDevCon2013, but I don't see
> Dmitri there. Did you simply miss him or there is some issue with him
> attending?

Sorry, I didn't have his name on the list from last year when I copied
it, so that's probably why it got dropped.

> I'm pretty sure Jean-Samuel will be willing to attend as well. Is that
> fine with you? He is very much into the topic and even though he
> doesn't develop things himself, he funds some of the development.

I don't see any issues [except the fact that we might have to prioritize
if the list of registrations gets too long].

> Thomas Tsou was also interested in attending - is he fine with you?
> He's doing great job with OpenBTS's transceiver and with the work
> Andreas is doing now, this transceiver will be used with OsmoBTS and
> will become a part of the Osmo* suite.

I think it would be beneficial to have him attend, even though it goes
borderline with a narrow definition of 'osmocom developer'.  The latter
is probably even more true for Dmitri.

Please don't get me wrong.  I whole-heartedly endores and applaud their
work, and I do think it makes sense to have them arround.  It's only
_if_ we run into capacity constraints with the venue, then I think
osmocom developers in a narrower sense would have higher priority.

If all confirmed people plus the 5 currently marked "not yet applied"
(horizon, dbugress, pablo, jolly, tsaitgaist) attend, then we are at 20
- even without Thomas, Dmitry and Jean-Samuel.  And to be honest, I
definitely want people like Horizon, Pablo, Kevin and Andreas to attend,
as they actually contribute large portions of the existing code base
(or Simtrace hardware in case of Kevin).

And I do not want to have more than 20 people at the venue.  That's
already considerably larger than last year.  There is a fine line
between creating a creative, productive environment of those really
active in the project, and inviting more people in the vicinity of the
project which removes the cozy "everyone knows everyone and we all work
together" feeling that is important for the motivation of some,
particularly wokrking on the more security oriented topics.

And what I really would like to avoid is having people at the event to
just hang out there because it is cool to hang out there.

So the logical course of action is:

* give priority to osmocom developers and give them a chance to apply
  first
* offer remaining seats to other people, if they are remaining

Finally, let me stress that I don't want to be a dictator.  If there is
disagreement in the community about this course of action, I'm very
happy to hear about it and change the policy.  Searching again for a
larger venue is not an option for me, given the close timing.