OpenBSC / OpenBTS integration

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 19:19:09 UTC 2012

Hi Holger,

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther
<holger at freyther.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:55:45PM +0400, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
>> These all are valid concerns.
>> We would love to test OpenBTS/OpenBSC integration, but this is a
>> second goal for us (Fairwaves/OpenBTS team). I.e. we'll plan to do
>> that, but only if we have enough time/resources.
>
> well, the easiest from a GSM point of view would be to have OpenBTS
> speak OML/RSL. But from the questions tnt asked it appears to be a
> more high level integration (non-GSM nitb<->OpenBTS interop).

Our target is to test OpenBTS and it's network model with SIP core. So
interconnection could be only through SIP. IIRC, we discussed using
LCR with SIP interface previously, but I have to recall where those
discussions led us.

What kind of interconnection do you have with the POC?

>> Sounds good. Do you plan to cover the whole area? To switch smoothly
>> we have to have a similar coverage. May be even share installation
>> locations.
>
> I think we would experiment in the early morning or late night and
> having a reduced coverage (hackcenter, foyer) would probably be
> acceptable.

Do you have statistics from previous CCC about the usage patterns? We
would be happy to use mornings/evenings if they provide enough load to
expose bugs/issues. If the load would be close to zero, then the
testing will be useless for us.

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио
http://fairwaves.ru