inter-BSC handover

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Fri Jul 2 16:50:47 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jul 01, 2021 at 07:32:09PM -0500, Keith wrote:
> I'm not finding it easy to understand how to configure everything for inter
> bsc handover.

Hm, it appears we are lacking documentation on inter-BSC and inter-MSC handover
in the osmo-msc manual.

In each BSC, you add a mapping of ARFCN-BSIC to Cell Identifiers.
(In osmo-bsc.cfg, remote-BSS neighbors have to be full Cell Id + ARFCN-BSIC.)
I recommend to use CGI identifiers only.

In the MSC, you add a mapping of Cell Identifiers to Point-Codes.

In osmo-bsc.cfg:

 # this is the ARFCN+BSIC of the remote-BSS cell,
 # and the LAC+CI of the remote-BSS cell.
 neighbor cgi 262 42 23 42 arfcn 123 bsic 4

In osmo-msc.cfg:

 neighbor a cgi 262 42 23 42 ran-pc 0.24.1

 serving BSC --Cell-Id--> MSC --Point-Code--> target BSC serving given cgi, at given PC

The BSC gets reports about a specific ARFCN and BSIC showing up strongly.
It needs to translate that to a Cell Identifier.
Only the Cell Identifier is sent to MSC in Handover Required.
Then the MSC needs to know which of its BSCs serves that Cell Id.
That's why you add to osmo-msc.cfg a mapping of cgi to point-code.
Hence MSC will send the Handover Request to the BSC with that point-code
matching the cgi.

And to support handover back to the first BSC, do the same thing vice versa.
So in a scenario with two BSCs with one BTS each, each BSC has one entry for the other BSC's BTS,
and the MSC has two entries, one for each BSC's BTS.

HTH
~N