osmo-hlr db upgrade behavior poll

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Mon Jan 14 16:36:25 UTC 2019

On 14/01/2019 17:12, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> The rationale is that if someone by accident launches a newer osmo-hlr only
> once, with automatic upgrade the user is then stuck with the newer version DB,
> since we don't make a backup and we don't provide a downgrade path.

We possibly could provide a downgrade path in the form of an external
script that would recreate the previous version and export what is
possible. Of course, you lose what you lose, but presumably an admin
doing this knows that. Is it worth it though? Who ever downgrades?

What would it take to copy the database to a backup before upgrading,
(from within osmo-hlr)? Not much, right?

just copy it to hlr.db.version.timestamp or some such.

> I'm now wondering whether that is really necessary. In the daily churn, it
> creates noise. How to make this less noisy?

Could it be that when the package is upgraded, the installer stops and
asks for intervention like some debian packages, you know especially
when they go "oops, you edited a file..."

k/