osmo-hlr db upgrade behavior poll

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Jan 14 16:12:58 UTC 2019

Hi all,

when reviewing osmo-hlr db schema upgrades, I came up with the idea that we
shouldn't upgrade automatically. That's why, for schema updates, osmo-hlr now
refuses to start and requires one start with the --db-upgrade option.

Our systemd service file does not include that option.

The result is that after an upgraded osmo-hlr binary, admins may have to take
extra action to upgrade the DB.

The rationale is that if someone by accident launches a newer osmo-hlr only
once, with automatic upgrade the user is then stuck with the newer version DB,
since we don't make a backup and we don't provide a downgrade path.

I'm now wondering whether that is really necessary. In the daily churn, it
creates noise. How to make this less noisy?

- Users could add the --db-upgrade option to the service file to always
  upgrade. (But it is cumbersome to have a .service file that differs from the
  installed version)

- We could also add a cfg file option to allow-db-upgrades.

- We could drop the behavior and always upgrade.

In the lack of strong opinions, this will probably stay as it is. I'd just like
to hear what you guys think about it. Is it annoying or a good idea?

Thanks!
~N