Google Summer of Code 2019

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Mon Jan 14 15:55:20 UTC 2019

On 14/01/2019 16:01, Max wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. We both write emails from
> non-gmail accounts for example.

Which are then distributed to a mailing list where there are many gmail
addresses. Under the terms of service agreed to by these subscribers,
the content of THIS message is now google's to scan, analyze, store
forever, input into behavioural study databases, and basically do what
they will with.

Yes, it's publicly archived too, but there is at least no implicit
agreement that it's OK to scrape the openBSC archive and use it to train
your AI, although I imagine google are doing that anyway.

> I'd really recommend doing some research on the subject matter before
> voicing a strong opinion about it.

I've done quite a lot of research on silicon valley and corporate
surveillance companies, and Google specifically. Results of that
research suggest that drilling into the nitty gritty of the terms of the
GSoC will turn up more of the same. - Maximum benefit for silicon
valley, minimal benefits to society in general and zero attention to the
crisis we are living right now.

So I defend my strong opinion.

> Again, how is this related to GSoC?

On this and the other questions, I don't think I can go on here, because
the massive question and potential discussion on how is Google bad for
pretty much everything gets off topic for OpenBSC very quickly.

> I'm only happy if developer A receive funding for his Osmocom work
> from entity B regardless of my personal opinion of either.

If developer X is working on FOSS just to get paid, and does not care
about the ethics, they are possibly in the wrong job, but we all do need
to get paid.

Silicon Valley is driving software development it it's preferred
direction in subtle ways. Money is power unfortunately. "software
freedom" IS being eroded, well even the orginal concept was flawed..
but... OT OT

I'm happy to discuss and preferably work on ways to continue developing
truly free software. I know it's hard. I know a lot of people in Osmocom
and elsewhere work very hard on it. I would not stand in the way of
anybody who wants to go to google, but google by its very existence
prevents other alternatives from even being considered because they now
have everything wrapped up.

Vadim asked for opinions and I gave mine. I'll say it once more; google
is not your friend.