Google Summer of Code 2019

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Mon Jan 14 15:01:25 UTC 2019

Hi!

14.01.19 14:44, Keith пишет:
> but I for one have serious problems with any further collaboration with
> google (et al.)

You don't have to: nobody forces you to be neither mentor nor student -
GSoC participation is completely voluntarily. Moreover, I'm not really
sure whether receiving payment could be considered as "collaboration" in
the context of Free Software: usually collaboration means code
contributions, tickets, documentation, testing etc.

> I'm even somewhat unhappy that many people on this
> mailing list force me to have my writing archived

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. We both write emails from
non-gmail accounts for example.

> I don't have a good analysis of what google gets out of the summer of
> code, nor do I have the time or inclination to go reasearch it

I'd really recommend doing some research on the subject matter before
voicing a strong opinion about it.

> and work towards sustainable FOSS

Getting extra money and manpower is exactly that, isn't it?

> means saying NO to corporate surveillance.

What this have to do with GSoC?

> and they are not your friends either.

Again, how is this related to GSoC?

In general, I'm only happy if developer A receive funding for his
Osmocom work from entity B regardless of my personal opinion of either.

--
- Max Suraev <msuraev at sysmocom.de>       http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93