Google Summer of Code 2019

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Mon Jan 14 13:44:33 UTC 2019

Hi Vadim.

I feel somewhat reluctant to be the first to respond and so negatively,
but I for one have serious problems with any further collaboration with
google (et al.) I'm even somewhat unhappy that many people on this
mailing list force me to have my writing archived forever and completely
outside of my control by using gmail email address. but.. hey.. what can
one do? It's "free" right? And we are so poor opensource devs, we can't
afford to run a mail server, or buy an account on non surveillance based
service...

The words "open source" and "google" in the same sentence should not
"compile" but unfortunately, given the sad state of FOSS, they do. I
don't have a good analysis of what google gets out of the summer of
code, nor do I have the time or inclination to go reasearch it right
now, but knowing their general modus operandi I'm pretty sure they get
more out of it that anybody else, as is the case in fact, lamentably
with most FOSS.

I know that my contribution is not huge to Osmocom, but I can say is
response to your proposal, I'd like to see osmocom be a little more on
the ball, and work towards sustainable FOSS, and I firmly believe that
means saying NO to corporate surveillance. Otherwise, what's the point?

As some say in Kreuzberg, Google is kein guter Nachbar! and they are not
your friends either. In the long terms, nothing good will come from
collaboration with them.

It's time to take a stand on ethical investment in FOSS.

"just my 2c" :-P

k/