Google Summer of Code 2019

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Tue Jan 15 10:57:32 UTC 2019

Hi.

14.01.19 16:55, Keith пишет:
> Yes, it's publicly archived too, but there is at least no implicit
> agreement that it's OK to scrape the openBSC archive and use it to train
> your AI, although I imagine google are doing that anyway.

Actually, there is: by the very definition of "public" - BND, Google (or
me :) are complete free to scrape, train AI on or print the messages and
make origami out of them. Using gmail adds absolutely nothing new to the
picture.

> I've done quite a lot of research on silicon valley and corporate
> surveillance companies, and Google specifically.

So does FSF I believe. Yet, GNU Hurd, GCC and numerous other projects
have participated in GSoC for many years without any issues. They even
came up with guidelines about it:
https://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/guidelines.html

Don't take it personally, but I'd rather side with gnu.org on this one :)

> If developer X is working on FOSS just to get paid, and does not care
> about the ethics, they are possibly in the wrong job

I don't think we're in position to judge if FOSS developers are "in the
wrong job" based on ethics disagreements.

> I'll say it once more; google
> is not your friend.

Nobody claimed otherwise. You're preaching to the choir :)

--
- Max Suraev <msuraev at sysmocom.de>       http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93