coding style: fixed indenting vs align-with-brace

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Fri Feb 8 21:21:25 UTC 2019

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 09:06:04AM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> wireshark has somwthing like a pre-commit hook in their repository that
> prevents you from even pushing changes that don't pass validation (such
> as non-terminated value_string arrays).

probably a pre-push hook in the upstream repos.
Things like coding style / value strings validation would be ok for that.
(obviously not full CI runs that take minutes and longer)

Also I wonder whether gerrit's java git stack allows having a pre-push hook.

I kind of like the idea of using a code formatting linter,
it (hopefully) completely cuts out all discussion.

I remember some blog post about that ... don't know where. The point was, any
and all of these little things should be enforced by CI, it creates a clear
situation and cuts out endless discussions.

Would be trivial to run a code reformatting command before submitting to
gerrit.

However, the hard part would be to get a reliable code formatter that doesn't
do nonsense. For example, I think dexter once used such tool that produced a
bit of nonsense indenting / formatting every now and then.

But... I'm heading back to inter-MSC handover now.

~N