Eclipse TITAN public release of SS7/SIGTRAN core protocols

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Nov 27 12:30:01 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 08:28:35PM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've mentioned this many months before, but Ericsson has now (well, a
> month ago) finally made a public announcement about the public release
> of their SS7/SIGTRAN core protocols in TTCN-3.  You can read more about
> it at https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1089686/ - where they
> actually even refer to us as being the trigger to release them.

Heh, nice one, complete with an introductory paragraph :)

> so e.g. A-bis RSL would first have to be implemented.  The good part is
> that it's actually super easy using the expressive syntax of the TITAN
> "raw" codec. Basically you define the structure of the data in files
> like http://git.osmocom.org/osmo-ttcn3-hacks/tree/library/GSM_RR_Types.ttcn
> and you don't have to write a single line for encoding/parsing :)

So you write a "titan struct" and get the binary en/decoding from it, even with
conditional presence and cross conditions and all. nice.

Makes me think, could one use that in production code to parse/encode messages?
It's C after all, isn't it. I wonder what its C representation looks like,
whether it makes working with it any easier than the TLV code we're using.

~N