Eclipse TITAN public release of SS7/SIGTRAN core protocols

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Nov 24 19:28:35 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I've mentioned this many months before, but Ericsson has now (well, a
month ago) finally made a public announcement about the public release
of their SS7/SIGTRAN core protocols in TTCN-3.  You can read more about
it at https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1089686/ - where they
actually even refer to us as being the trigger to release them.

There are still many tests to write beyond those currently existing.

Most recently I wrote a set of MGCP tests for our new osmo-mgw, which
Philipp is now using to iron out some kinks in the codebase.

The past week I've been working on simulating the minimal subset of N
numbers of BSCs and N numbers of MSCs from a single test suite in order
to test osmo-bsc_nat, and specifically the "IMSI-based routing to
different MSCs" feature that Daniel has been working on.  It's still
work in progress, but definitely the by far most complex TTCN-3 project
that I've written so far.

After completing that, I would like to spend some more time on OsmoBTS
and OsmoBSC related tests.  The difficulty here is that the more we get
to the RAN / air interface, the less existing prtoocols / codecs exist,
so e.g. A-bis RSL would first have to be implemented.  The good part is
that it's actually super easy using the expressive syntax of the TITAN
"raw" codec. Basically you define the structure of the data in files
like http://git.osmocom.org/osmo-ttcn3-hacks/tree/library/GSM_RR_Types.ttcn
and you don't have to write a single line for encoding/parsing :)