Eclipse TITAN public release of SS7/SIGTRAN core protocols

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Nov 27 14:06:10 UTC 2017

Hi Neels,

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 01:30:01PM +0100, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 08:28:35PM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> > so e.g. A-bis RSL would first have to be implemented.  The good part is
> > that it's actually super easy using the expressive syntax of the TITAN
> > "raw" codec. Basically you define the structure of the data in files
> > like http://git.osmocom.org/osmo-ttcn3-hacks/tree/library/GSM_RR_Types.ttcn
> > and you don't have to write a single line for encoding/parsing :)
>
> So you write a "titan struct" and get the binary en/decoding from it, even with
> conditional presence and cross conditions and all. nice.

Correct.  A partial RSL implementation can be seen at
http://git.osmocom.org/osmo-ttcn3-hacks/tree/library/RSL_Types.ttcn

My plan is to use this together with the A code for BSC level tests, so one can
perform some procedure/activity on both A-bis and A and test if the BSC does what's expected.

> Makes me think, could one use that in production code to parse/encode messages?

I wouldn't want to try, at least not on the kind of low-performance systems that
we normally work on.

> It's C after all, isn't it.

It's C++.

> I wonder what its C representation looks like,

You can simply compile a the TTCN module ("make compile") and you get the resulting
generated C++ code.

> whether it makes working with it any easier than the TLV code we're using.

I think our TLV dode is exceptionally comfortable for a very
low-overhead C-language approach.  What is the difficulty? Of course it
only handles the TLV structure and not the content of any IE.  But
that's because it is a TLV parser and not anything else...