Question about multiplexed GSM signal

Marcus Dias vmarcusv at gmail.com
Thu May 11 16:58:07 UTC 2017

>It sounds like you need a raw IQ sampled binary file at about 5 Msps.
>Is that correct?

Thanks a lot for your hints!

If my math (sampling theorem) is not wrong, because I need a bandwidth
of 5 MHz (assuming only downstream transmission, given I will not use
upstream), it would require 5 Msps in case each sample is a complex number
or 10 Msps in case the samples are real-valued.

>There are a variety of methods to achieve this depending on your
>requirements. You could generate the multiplexed signal live with up
>to 3 adjacent ARFCN channels (800 kHz separation) with a B200 and
>osmo-trx with multi-ARFCN enabled.

That is a good starting point. But I would need to increase the number
of 200 kHz to reach a total of 5 MHz.

>But, it sounds like you just need a test file, so you could
>post-process an existing single ARFCN signal file in Octave or Matlab
>to carry multiple versions of the same GSM signal. That may or may not
>be sufficient depending on your needs.

Yes, exactly: just a test file. I am still studying the GSM PHY and I
suspect if I simply position the ARFCNs in different frequencies I
will end up with an invalid GSM signal (that is, it will not be properly
decoded by the Keysight VSA equipment that I have to interface to).

Marcus Dias
UFPA - Lasse - LaPS