jenkins build slaves: Rationale for some builds in docker vs. some not?

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Fri Aug 25 12:37:12 UTC 2017

> On 25. Aug 2017, at 19:15, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
>
> Hi!

> We have some builds that happen inside a docker, and some that happen natively
> on the (Debian 8) build slave.  Can somebody involved with this illustrate
> why that is the case, and what's the rationale here?

historically I wanted to speed up the -gerrit builds so this is where I
started experimenting with containers and ended with docker.

For the main * build it was a question does build time matter more than
multi-platform builds. I thought that FreeBSD with clang provides more
value than a quick non-gerrit build.

> From my point of view, I would have assumed that building in different containers
> would make sense to e.g. build on different distributions / versions, or
> building against older libosmo* vs. building against libosmo* from nightly
> package feeds vs. re-building all dependencies from master.

> But it appears that only a single container is built, and that container is
> used for some jobs (like osmo-msc-gerrit) but not for other jobs.

Right a single container is used as the goal was to be able to run VTY
tests in parallel without messing with the configs (pick ports at
random or such). I think multi-distribution support should be carefully
considered as this will have an explosion in builds. It might only make
sense if we compile with -Werror as well?

I can't comment if osmo-msc-gerrit is using a different container than
other builds.

holger