jenkins build slaves: Rationale for some builds in docker vs. some not?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Aug 25 11:15:15 UTC 2017

Hi!

We have some builds that happen inside a docker, and some that happen natively
on the (Debian 8) build slave.  Can somebody involved with this illustrate
why that is the case, and what's the rationale here?

Just looking at the setup, I'm unable to figure out whether there's any
particular reason for this, or whether it's simply "we started without and
then did some builds in docker but nobody migrated the other builds over"

>From my point of view, I would have assumed that building in different containers
would make sense to e.g. build on different distributions / versions, or
building against older libosmo* vs. building against libosmo* from nightly
package feeds vs. re-building all dependencies from master.

But it appears that only a single container is built, and that container is
used for some jobs (like osmo-msc-gerrit) but not for other jobs.

If I missed some wiki page or mailing list posts with related information,
a pointer would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.