Jenkins build slave setup / messy

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Aug 25 09:44:24 UTC 2017

Dear all,

I had to spend a large portion of my spare time last night in order to
add a new jenkins build slave in a way that it works.  What should have
been very simple by following the wiki at
https://osmocom.org/projects/osmocom-servers/wiki/Jenkins_Node_Setup
turned out into a long process of failures that still continue, see
http://jenkins.osmocom.org/jenkins/job/osmo-bts-gerrit/1325/

I'm really not happy about the lack of discipline in keeping the documentation
in sync - or even bothering to state in the wiki "FIXME, some stuff
needs to be done which is not documented". Having very incomplete
documentation that suggests something is a very easy and
straight-forward task is possibly worse than having no documentation,
at which point the reader/user is clear about this being a
time-consuming procedure that involved manual recreation of a manual
setup.

We do now have "build-2.osmocom.org", which is a Ryzen 1700X eight-core
CPU with 64GB RAM.  It natively runs Debian 9 (stretch) and has a
Debian8 build slave inside a lxc container.

I've updated the wiki page, but I don't think "copy over the ~/docker directory
whose contents is not under revision control and then run ./update.sh" is
all that good an idea either.

Adding more build slaves to a jenkins setup should be the most natural and
normal thing to do.  After all, the entire system is designed to scale out
by adding more build slaves.

I think the right process here would be to have a script that generates
the build slave[s].  My preference would be to have a lxc template for
it, so any new build host simply needs to lxc-create from that template.

Is anyone willing to contribute in that area?