jenkins build slaves: Rationale for some builds in docker vs. some not?

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Sun Aug 27 14:28:52 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 08:37:12PM +0800, Holger Freyther wrote:
> I can't comment if osmo-msc-gerrit is using a different container than
> other builds.

Until recently only OpenBSC and OpenBSC-gerrit were using docker.
osmo-msc and osmo-msc-gerrit were copied from (one of) those, hence those are
also using docker. osmo-{bsc,mgw,sgsn} don't exist yet but could do the same.

They (will) use the same docker image.

The mentioned vty tests port conflicts are related to the build matrix
containing eight different builds, which can be parallelized by using the
docker container; and also allows building separate patches in parrallel.

Unfortunately, documenting the jenkins setup while tweaking it is time
consuming and tends to become outdated quickly. I think documenting our entire
setup is nontrivial. I did so for the osmo-gsm-tester jobs, which takes up a
large part of the osmo-gsm-tester manual. We need to find a feasible balance of
detail, which I guess should be rather coarse. Numerous documentation and wiki
restructuring tasks for Osmocom components themselves are continuously pending
and IMHO higher in priority.

~N