OsmoBTS -> libosmogsm code migration

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Sep 11 04:12:05 UTC 2016

Hi Vadim,

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 09:43:58AM +0600, Vadim Yanitskiy wrote:

> There is a problem, related to GSM 05.03 code migration.
> Please, have a look:
>
> https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/c/841/1/src/gsm/Makefile.am
>
> The problem is that the gsm0503_coding.c has some dependences
> from libosmocodec, they are:
>
>  - src/codec/gsm610.c
>  - src/codec/gsm620.c
>  - src/codec/gsm660.c
>
> And I have some doubts how to link them properly. As we already
> discussed with Neels, there are the following possible ways [...]

I think there's one option that I would prefer: Having a new library,
like libosmogsmphy (or libosmogsm-phy or libosmogsm_phy?) which contains
the gsm0503 code and has dependencies to libosmocore and libosmocodec.

This library could then either be inside libosmocore.git (if we can
agree to re-license it as GPLv2), or we'd have to maintain it in a
separate repository (if we have to keep it AGPL).  This separation is
not legally mandator and has no legal significance, it is juts merely
not to confuse the user to obtain libosmocore.git which contained a mix
of different licenses.