OsmoBTS -> libosmogsm code migration

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Sep 12 13:05:11 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 12:12:05PM +0800, Harald Welte wrote:
> I think there's one option that I would prefer: Having a new library,

Since you are basically the most proficient on the topic and with the licensing
issues discussed, this looks like the way to go.
https://lists.osmocom.org/pipermail/openbsc/2016-September/009673.html

> This separation is not legally mandator and has no legal significance, it is
> juts merely not to confuse the user to obtain libosmocore.git which contained
> a mix of different licenses.

If one would like to avoid one of the two licenses, it would be cumbersome to
have to install and then purge the part that has the wrong license. So it
appears to me having a separate git makes sense.

However, will there be tight dependencies between libosmocore and the new lib?
Where exactly will be the separation between libosmocore and the new lib?

> libosmogsmphy (or libosmogsm-phy or libosmogsm_phy?)

We so far have only dashes in our git names, so not libosmogsm_phy.  With
libosmogsm as part of libosmocore, I would expect "libosmogsm-phy" to also be
part of libosmocore. All newer libs have libosmo-*, so I'd bikeshed as

  libosmo-gsmphy

From my meagre understanding of the topic I'd have chosen libosmo-gsmcodec,
but I obviously trust that your choice for "phy" is sound.

So then, we need a new git.osmocom.org as well as gerrit repository, right?
I can add a gerrit project, but not a git.osmocom.org one, and am not familiar
with the replication process between the two...

~Neels

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93