RFC: OsmoDevCon 2017 planning

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 18:37:38 UTC 2016

On Dec 13, 2016 2:15 AM, "Harald Welte" <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:

> > One could even structure it further and say we have one user day, one
> > public 'Osmocom cellular developer day' and then the closed 'OsmoDevCon
> > classic', maybe reduced from 4 days to 3 or even 2 days only?
>
> Not sure why public developer part can't be a part of the public user
> part? Lets just find a good name for it which doesn't contain word
> "user". :)

Well, the topics are invariably different.  A user (aka "operator")
cares about configuration + running + monitoring [the software], while a
developers care about code architecture, interfaces, testing, etc.

In general, there is not much overlap betwene those two groups,
particularly not as their respective orgaization gets larger.

Hence my proposal to split the two.  Of course it could e a
"morning/afternoon", a "day 1/day 2" or a "2 tracks in parallel" split

On a second thought I do agree. Thank you for further explaining!

I personally believe parallel tracks make most sense to save everyone's
time, but it's up to organizers to decide, because it puts additional load
on them.

Please excuse typos. Written with a touchscreen keyboard.

Alexander Chemeris
CEO Fairwaves, Inc.
https://fairwaves.co