RFC: OsmoDevCon 2017 planning

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Dec 12 23:04:00 UTC 2016

Hi Alexander,

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 03:05:05PM +0300, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
> > Having both events (or both parts of an event) back-to-back has the
> > advantage that a large number of potential speakers for the 'user day'
> > are already present, and they don't have to travel yet another time.
>
> It would be great to have a user part at OsmoDevCon and having them
> back to back is the best option IMHO - exactly for the reasons above.

Happy to see you agree there :)

> > One could even structure it further and say we have one user day, one
> > public 'Osmocom cellular developer day' and then the closed 'OsmoDevCon
> > classic', maybe reduced from 4 days to 3 or even 2 days only?
>
> Not sure why public developer part can't be a part of the public user
> part? Lets just find a good name for it which doesn't contain word
> "user". :)

Well, the topics are invariably different.  A user (aka "operator")
cares about configuration + running + monitoring [the software], while a
developers care about code architecture, interfaces, testing, etc.

In general, there is not much overlap betwene those two groups,
particularly not as their respective orgaization gets larger.

Hence my proposal to split the two.  Of course it could e a
"morning/afternoon", a "day 1/day 2" or a "2 tracks in parallel" split.