Meet us at AfricaCom

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 22:15:00 UTC 2013

HI Harald,

I appreciate your care about the community and I won't post anything
related to our commercial activities to this mailing list from now on.

But I should say, that I disagree with you in your assessment of my
e-mail as spam. I always care about community and gauge all my posts
from a user perspective, and I wouldn't classify this as a spam. My
reasoning is as following:
1. If I'm a user of Osmocom, I'd be interested in meeting a vendor in
person, given a good occasion.
2. If I'm a user of Osmocom, I'd be interested in announcements of new
products, compatible with Osmocom (this is a general comment,
unrelated to this exact e-mail).

May be we should create a separate (low-traffic) mailing list for
commercial announcements, related to Osmocom? That might be a useful
way to promote a healthy ecosystem around it.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> Dear Alexander,
>
> please immediately stop using this (or any other osmocom.org mailing
> list) for commercial advertisement and marketing of any sort.
>
> If you check the history of this list, you will notice that Holger and I
> at sysmoco always have drawn a _very_ clear line and did never abuse the
> community lists for any kind of spam.  Despite us funding the
> OsmoDevCon, paying for osmocom.org hosting, etc.  The same holds true
> for the *.osmocom.org web sites.  We expect the same discretion from
> other subscribers.
>
> To be honest, I would have expected more sensitivity from you regarding
> the use of FOSS community communication channels for unsolicited
> commercial email.
>
> I will immediately remove your advertisement from the list archives.
>
> The only posts of commercial nature that I can recall are the occasional
> single-unit second hand sale of nanoBTSs and related equipment by
> individual subscribers.  I consider that fair use, as it is of course in
> the interest of OpenBSC to enable community members to get access to
> inexpensive equipment for R&D, testing, etc.
>
> Regards,
>         Harald
> --
> - Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/
> "Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
>                                                   (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио
http://fairwaves.ru