no commercial announcements to this list

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Nov 13 11:51:34 UTC 2013

Hi Alexander,

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:15:00AM +0200, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
> I appreciate your care about the community and I won't post anything
> related to our commercial activities to this mailing list from now on.

thanks for your attention.

Regarding SPAM:  Well, then let's call it 'UCE' (unsolicited commercial
email).  The typical list member is somebody interested in using or
developing OpenBSC.  By no means has he ever explicitly given us
permission to send him advertisements of any sort.  So it is
unsolicited. and it is commercial.  and it is email.

This list is for technical discussion around the development [and use]
of OpenBSC.  But if we open it for commercial announcements, you will
have a dozen of companies sending weekly updates on their ever-so-shiny
new products, and the deveopers will leave and go elsewhere where they
are not bothered by it.

> May be we should create a separate (low-traffic) mailing list for
> commercial announcements, related to Osmocom? That might be a useful
> way to promote a healthy ecosystem around it.

I'm happy to create such a list, but I have a hard time that anyone
would be interested in subscribing it.  So if anyone reading this
message is intersted in such a new list for commercial/product
announcements, please respond to this message.

I admit I'm extremely allergic to all kinds of
spam/advertisements/marketing, and my view might be a bit more extreme
than others.  Anything that any vendor can ever hope to achieve by
sending SPAM/UCE/UBE to me is that I get upset and will intentionally
penalize him by not buying from him because he has sent me unsolicited
mail.