Fixing power off in osmo-trx

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 11:19:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Thomas Tsou <ttsou at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Alexander Chemeris
> <alexander.chemeris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've made some progress in making osmo-trx able to power off/on
>> without restart. At this moment it's almost there - the only big
>> remaining issue I see is some bug with UHD device start/stop. It seems
>> we do not re-initialize it properly and assert (num_rd == OUTCHUNK)
>> fails. I hope you could fix that.
>
> This is a very positive patch set. As you very well know, the power
> on/off handling was in a ugly state. One of the remaining issue with
> UHD start/stop is that the device clock is reset to zero at restart,
> but not all of the timestamp counters are reset in radioInterface. The
> radioInterface is not stopped at all until deallocation since
> 'POWEROFF' is an empty command.

I made an attempt to implement it in the 806a64b1 patch. If you check
out this commit, you should get the assert during TURN ON/OFF/ON
sequence. To start/stop transceiver I use scripts attached to this
e-mail.

> I've only looked at the outer thread interface changes, but the
> ability to tear down individual threads (instead of uncontrolled stack
> unwinding) makes the remaining issues much more straightforward.
> There's a fair amount of old code that was probably never written with
> restart in mind, but I don't see any issues with cleaning that up.

For the old code we could use "compatibility" mode where we don't
shutdown or exit on shutdown.

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио
http://fairwaves.ru