Fixing power off in osmo-trx

Thomas Tsou tom at tsou.cc
Mon Jul 15 18:54:22 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Alexander Chemeris <
alexander.chemeris at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Thomas Tsou <ttsou at vt.edu> wrote:
>> This is a very positive patch set. As you very well know, the power
>> on/off handling was in a ugly state. One of the remaining issue with
>> UHD start/stop is that the device clock is reset to zero at restart,
>> but not all of the timestamp counters are reset in radioInterface. The
>> radioInterface is not stopped at all until deallocation since
>> 'POWEROFF' is an empty command.
>
> I made an attempt to implement it in the 806a64b1 patch. If you check
> out this commit, you should get the assert during TURN ON/OFF/ON
> sequence. To start/stop transceiver I use scripts attached to this
> e-mail.

There does seem to be something strange going on with UHD. After restart
and clock reset the device is reporting time correctly, but subsequent
packets do not reflect the change. We've had similar issues before due to
lingering packets in the socket buffers, but the same fix (flushing buffers
after issuing STREAM_MODE_STOP) doesn't fix the issue.

Rx timestamp 10.3679
Rx timestamp 10.3698
----POWEROFF----
----POWERON----
UHD device time 0.00440694
Rx timestamp 10.3732

This may be a bug in UHD, or some oddity in the UHD streamer interface. I'm
going to try it with an outside test case.

Thomas