Fixing power off in osmo-trx

Thomas Tsou ttsou at vt.edu
Mon Jul 15 10:35:32 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Alexander Chemeris
<alexander.chemeris at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've made some progress in making osmo-trx able to power off/on
> without restart. At this moment it's almost there - the only big
> remaining issue I see is some bug with UHD device start/stop. It seems
> we do not re-initialize it properly and assert (num_rd == OUTCHUNK)
> fails. I hope you could fix that.

This is a very positive patch set. As you very well know, the power
on/off handling was in a ugly state. One of the remaining issue with
UHD start/stop is that the device clock is reset to zero at restart,
but not all of the timestamp counters are reset in radioInterface. The
radioInterface is not stopped at all until deallocation since
'POWEROFF' is an empty command.

I've only looked at the outer thread interface changes, but the
ability to tear down individual threads (instead of uncontrolled stack
unwinding) makes the remaining issues much more straightforward.
There's a fair amount of old code that was probably never written with
restart in mind, but I don't see any issues with cleaning that up.

 Thomas