OsmoDevCon / SIP / Teleconference

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Feb 21 00:20:29 UTC 2012

Hi all!

I really wanted OsmoDevCon to be an even from Osmocom (+related)
develoeprs for such developers, with the idea of working together
intensely and sharing some experiences face-to-face.

I also understand not everyone is able to attend, for scheduling, travel
or simply because they didn't realize about the event in time.

I think broadcasting at least some the presentations (not general
discussions) via SIP or any other audio streaming method might be ok,
but I would make that dependent on the individual speaker.  For
discussions or other non-presentations, I don't think it's a good idea.
Talking privately in a room full of people is one thing, talking while
it is publicly streamed and possibly recorded an entirely different
thing.

Having remote presenters is also not what I had in mind.  We might
consider that if one of the scheduled speakers is unable to attend, but
not as a planned scenario for events that are not even scheduled.

Furthermore, I'm not a big fan of active participation by remote parties
either, I fear it has a huge potential to delay the event.

Now there might be occasional exceptions, i.e. somebody not present at
the event but still actively involved in one particular subject that we
want to discuss.  In that case having a teleconference via SIP or other
method may be appropriate for that given topic / person.

If I understood correctly, Sylvain and Peter have suggested to take care
of it from the technical/infrastructure side.  I appreciate that and we
may use it where apropriate (see above).

btw: I strongly discourage the use of skype in the context of Osmocom by
all means!  We're working very hard to create Free Software
implementations of open-specified communications protocols.  Let's not
make the world more complicated by using (and thus suggesting it was
appropriate to use) completely proprietary communications systems.