[SHOWCASE] OpenBSC used during Queensday (NL)

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Apr 30 14:12:01 UTC 2012

Hi Frank,

VID - Frank Maas wrote:
> Unfortunately this is not a complete success.

Thanks for testing! You are brave to go live with GPRS! :)

> Several nanoBTS'es bootstrap quite regularly,

I believe this is due to a problem with the nanoBTS itself. If you're
able to (also) put some pressure on ip.access I think that would be
awesome. If they hear from enough customers maybe they will work
harder on a firmware upgrade.

> and almost all connected devices are unreachable after several
> minutes (some later than others). Only restarting OmniBSC quite
> often seems to bring back some life.
> Up until now I have been unable to find out why things are wrong.

It would of course be very valuable to find out what it is that is
actually fixed when you restart OpenBSC. If you still have the
network running for some time maybe you can save pcap files with the
traffic between nanoBTSes and OpenBSC, which could be analyzed post
mortem.

Best would be to have a pcap which starts with OpenBSC being started,
and captures for these several minutes including the OpenBSC re-start
as well as the devices becoming reachable again.

Since the error happens in "only" a few minutes hopefully this
capture does not have to get too big to handle.

> While preparing for this use of OpenBSC I came accross some things that
> might be worthwhile to share with you. I'll do that in separate messages,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

//Peter