[SHOWCASE] OpenBSC used during Queensday (NL)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Apr 30 14:46:26 UTC 2012

Hi Frank,

thanks for your report.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 03:32:35PM +0200, VID - Frank Maas wrote:
> This is just a quick email to let you know that we are currently (as in:
> today) using OpenBSC to offer a GPRS service to some equipment during
> Queensday.

GPRS related problems are to be expected.

GPRS with the nanoBTS is unfortunately problematic, especially if you
have lots of devices that are trying to use the network.  We have seen
many installaitons where tha nanoBTSs crash somewhere deep down in their
firmware.

If you look at the OML error reports after they have rebooted (using
wireshark), you will notice that they have something like linked list
corruption in their memory management, or errors related to the TLB.

So whether we (osmo-sgsn) are doing something wrong or not, it should
definitely not corrupt the BTS internal memory managment state :(

Some of our users have tried dozens of different firmware versions, to
no avail.

This is why we have never operated GPRS at our installations at the CCC
Congresses or Camps.