[SHOWCASE] OpenBSC used during Queensday (NL)

VID - Frank Maas frank at vid.nl
Mon Apr 30 13:32:35 UTC 2012

Goodafternoon,

This is just a quick email to let you know that we are currently (as in:
today) using OpenBSC to offer a GPRS service to some equipment during
Queensday. For those of you that do not know this: Queensday is a Dutch
festivity where the birthday of the Queen is celebrated. It attracts a mass
of people and under that condition no (normal) mobile network will stay
operational. Since we have some equipment running, we decided to try out
creating our own mobile network. For this we installed several ip.access
nanoBTSes and use OpenBSC as central software.

Unfortunately this is not a complete success. Although we tested it and
those tests gave us confidence, we now experience a lot of connection
losses. Several nanoBTS'es bootstrap quite regularly, and almost all
connected devices are unreachable after several minutes (some later than
others). Only restarting OmniBSC quite often seems to bring back some life.
Up until now I have been unable to find out why things are wrong.

While preparing for this use of OpenBSC I came accross some things that
might be worthwhile to share with you. I'll do that in separate messages,
so contents does not get clobbered. Please allow me to thank you all for
the great work you have done in this set of software. I hope some of my
experiences will help you pushing this forward.

Kind regards,
Frank