Question on characteristics of nano-BTS

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 10:25:28 UTC 2011

Thanks for your feedback on this Paul. I have had some more feedback
from another chap
who was also very helpful. I'll post it on this thread to assist anybody
searching for
this type of information in future. I will certainly let you know how
the application
proceeds.

Yes you need to state 1800Mhz (class of emission)

The BTS is a single-TRX BTS designed for indoor use (–5C to +45°C).
Maximum transmit power is +23dBm for the 1800 MHz BTS
Channel Spacing is 200Khz
Power output control is 12 steps
Power consumption is 13watts
Standards are ETSI EN301489-9

Using the tool at
http://www.compeng.com.au/emc_conversion_tables_power_calculator.aspx
you should be able to work out what you require knowing the max output
is +23db

As a rough guide (as I'm NO radio expert) the formula is like so:

EiRP (dBi)=ERP (dB)+2.1
ERP(dB)=Ant Gain (dBd)+POWERBTS (dBm)-Combiner loss-Cable loss-Fading margin

So....

Output power = 23db
Unit lose = 6.5db per 100m
Gain of anntena = 10db
Combiner lose = 3db
Fading Margin = 2db

Radiated power of attenna (ERP) = 21.5db (23 - 6.5 + 10 - 3 - 2)
Max radiated power (EiRP) = 21.5 + 2.1 = 23.6dbi