Question on characteristics of nano-BTS

Paul Dart pauldart at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 12:51:09 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 26 October 2011 11:16, Alex J Lennon <ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working through a UK Ofcom Non-operational license application form
> to obtain a license to test with an ip.access nano-BTS 1800.
>
> I'm having a little trouble determining a few of the characteristics of the
> nano-BTS and I wonder if anybody could offer me any advice?
>
> - Presumably I can provide GSM 1800 as the frequency of operation (or do I
> need to be more specific?).

For the purposes of Ofcom this should be fine. They will then give you
a set channel/freq. in that band to use and this will be specific.

> - What would be the "class of emission designation" for UK GSM ?
>
> - Given I'm just going to use a nano-BTS with a couple of Wifi 10dBi SMA
> antennae is there somewhere

Wifi antennas are usually tuned for 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz (maybe 900MHz if
you get it from the US or something). You are probably better getting
an antenna that will work properly in the band you are using (unless
it's a wideband antenna).

>  I can find figures for:
>
>  - peak RF Power supplied to the antenna or load?
>  - peak radiated power (ERP or EIRP)
>  - mean radiated power (ERP or EIRP)

You need to know:
a) the power output of the nanoBTS you have (ask the
manufacturer/check the datasheet)
b) any cable losses between that and the antenna
c) the gain of the antenna (I presume 10dB is at 2.4GHz for wifi. It
will likely be less for 1800MHz, see my comments above).

Add these together and you will get the power out. a) and b) gives you
the answer to the first one.
ERP and EIRP are subtly different. Check wikipedia/ask Ofcom if you
need some help.

> Many thanks,
>
> Alex

Hope this helps, and good luck. Let me know if you do get an approved
application as I would be interested in doing the same in the UK.

Regards,

Paul