libosmocore and GNU autotest

Pablo Neira Ayuso pablo at gnumonks.org
Sun Nov 13 01:25:33 UTC 2011

Hi Holger,

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 01:30:16AM +0100, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> Hi Pablo, all
>
> I have pushed GNU autotest[1] integration of libosmocore into the
> zecke/gnu-autotest branch and invoking make check will execute the testsuite.
>
> The output looks like this:
> ## ------------------------------------- ##
> ## libosmocore 0.4.0.10-c015 test suite. ##
> ## ------------------------------------- ##
>
> Regression tests.
>
>   1: bits                                            ok
>   2: msgfile                                         ok
>   3: sms                                             ok
>   4: smscb                                           ok
>   5: timer                                           FAILED (testsuite.at:38)
>   6: ussd                                            FAILED (testsuite.at:44)
>

> GNU autotest will execute an external application and then can check the exit
> code, compare the stdout/stderr to a file. In this case the timer test fails
> as the test itself is randomized and does not always provide the same output.

Interesting, never played with this autotest stuff so far.

> Pablo if your time permits it would be nice if you could:
> 	- Provide a cli option to make the test have less iterations (to make
> 	  make check run faster)

Patch attached for this.

> 	- Provide a cli option to produce a repeatable output (e.g. by
> 	  omitting the expired output).

Can we tell the tool to compare stdout but to ignore stderr? If so, we
can display the repeatable output in stdout and the non-repeatable output
in stderr.

> What do you think? In some ways I think that executing the timer test as part
> of our regression tests makes sense but maybe specially on a loaded machine
> the test might be flaky...

Yes, with lots of timers, the expiration may not be done in time on
a loaded machine. If we can ignore the stderr output, we can put the
information about timers not expiring in time to stderr.