omsosgsn test phone recommendation?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Dec 14 09:36:37 UTC 2011

Hi David,

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 09:37:19PM -0800, David A. Burgess wrote:

> Can someone recommend a good smartphone for testing with OsmoSGSN?  We
> are having trouble getting our GPRS modem to recognize a ACTIVATE PDP
> CONTEXT ACK message and are trying to determine if the error is in the
> modem, in OmsoSGSN or somewhere in between.

I've successfully used at least SE K800i, Google Nexus S, Dell Streak,
HTC Hermes II, Motorola A780 here on my side.  I know some other people
have been using OsmoSGSN/OpenGGSN for iPhone related work, though I
don't know which particular model they've used.

> Better yet, is there anything out there that can generate an L2 or L3
> trace, like the Nokia 3310, but for GPRS as well as GSM?

The only ones that come to my mind are the TEMS variants of the K800i,
but those are of course hard to come by and/or expensive :/

Have you considered using Luca's work on gprsdecode?  This way you could
do an air interface trace of what's happening between BTS and MS.